|How to Store|
Mentaiko Tube ~ Spicy Cod Roe Sauce
Karashi Mentaiko is name of product in Japanese.
This is actually Spicy Cod Roe Sauce made in Japan.
Mentaiko Tube is very convenient for cooking Metaiko Pasta, Mentaiko Egg…etc
Mentaiko is traditional Japanese seafood ingredient, consisting of pollock roe from the Alaskan pollock, which is of the cod family.
The Alaskan pollock is not a pollock in itself, but a cod; thus, tarako and mentaiko are also referred to as cod roe.
These ripe eggs are prepared and seasoned differently: tarako is plain and salted, while mentaiko is marinated and a more flavorful version.
Widely used in Japanese cuisine, pollock roe is also present in Korean, Russian, and a few French preparations.
- Frozen Product
- 500g / Tube
- 90 gramskarashi mentaiko (about 2 pieces)
- 2 tablespoonsolive oil
- 1/4 cuphalf and half (half cream, half milk)
- 9 gramsParmigiano Reggiano (grated)
- 200 gramsdry spaghetti
- 1/4 sheetnori (cut into thin strips with scissors, for garnish)
- 3 leavesgreen shiso (thinly sliced, for garnish)
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions in well-salted water (about 1 tablespoon salt per 5 cups of water).
- Whole mentaiko comes in the roe sacks which have a tough outer membrane. Pierce one end of it and then squeeze the roe out of membrane into the bowl, like you’re squeezing toothpaste out of the tube.
- Add the olive oil, half and half, and Parmigiano Reggiano and then whisk to combine.
- Prepare the garnishes.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and then add it immediately to the bowl with the Mentaiko sauce. Toss to coat the pasta evenly.
- You can plate it using tongs and a small bowl or ladle and then garnish it with the nori and shiso.